25 Jul 2022
19th May 2022
Mochi Cookies recipe
One thing that I miss about living in Japan is having that Mochi texture in all sorts of other foods. Whilst you can buy mochi at import shops in the UK, there are very few bakeries or restaurants that bake things to have that soft and squidgy texture.
Here is an easy vegan recipe to have that same experience at home. More than just mochi. These American style cookies with Mochi in the centre will totally satisfy all your cravings.
You will need
- Glutinous Rice Flour 40 G
- Granulated Sugar 9 1/2 tablespoons
- Oat Milk (or any other milk, including cow) 80 ML
- Margarine (real, unsalted butter) 115 G
- Brown Sugar 100 G
- Half of a Banana (Or an egg)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Plain flour 160 G
- Baking Soda 1/2 teaspoon
- Chocolate Chips as many as you want
1. Mix the rice flour, 1 and a half table spoons of sugar, and milk in a microwave-safe bowl until it is smooth.
2. Microwave on a High heat for two and a half minutes. Then mix with a wet spatula.
3. Place the white dough on a plate, cover it with cling film and let it cool. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C.
4. Mush up you banana in a paste.
5. Mix your butter, 8 table spoons of granualted sugar and all of your brown sugar together in a large bowl. Once it is fully combined, mix in the mushed Banana and vanilla. Now, add your plain flour and baking soda to the mixture.
6. After you have mixed everything into a nice, smooth dough, put it on a tray.
6. These Mochi cookies Bake best if cut into 16 round pieces, then flatten them.
7. Take out your white Dought from the fridge. It should now have a mochi type texture. Place a piece of the white dough in the centre of each of your 16 cookies. Fold the cookie dough around the mochi dough, to completely cover it, like a parsal. Place the cookies on your baking tray.
8. Flatten the cookies again, adding chocolate chips as you go
9. Bake the cookies at 180°C for 10-12 minutes, once they start to brown at the edges, take them out and let them rest for 5 minutes before enjoying.